Wednesday, October 31, 2012

I Will Not Be Getting The "I Voted" Sticker This Election


So I thought that I would touch on the touchy issue that seems to be all people are talking about...

POLITICS! 

Since the hype about the big election coming up I wanted to give my insight, which may surprise you.

If you would have asked me a few years ago about politics I would have talked with you till the death. Told you how I thought the opposing candidate to who I wanted was this, this, oh AND that.... and how I thought you were an idiot for considering them.

I hosted and attended debate watch parties, read up on many articles, watched a lot of news, and really educated myself about each candidate, usually priding myself on being a moderate but usually leaning toward the left.

Well then Jesus came into the picture and I read this verse:

"I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness." - 1 Timothy 1:2-12

“Makes Jesus your Lord proud of you by being good citizens. Respect the authorities, whatever their level; they are God's emissaries for keeping order. It is God's will that by doing good, you might cure the ignorance of fools... Exercise your freedom by serving God, not by breaking the rules. Treat everyone you meet with dignity. Love your spiritual family. Revere God. Respect the government.” 
-1 Peter 2:13-17 (The Message Translation) 
"Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God." -Romans 13:1

After much prayer, biblical wisdom, and observation of politics I have decided that for the presidency, I will vote for neither Barack Obama or Mitt Romney.

My reasons for not voting are many but the main few are these:

1) No matter who you vote for, if Congress cannot learn to work and pass legislation in a bi-partisan manner, it doens't matter if the President wants to give us all unicorns and gum drops, it's not going to happen unless Congress can learn to work together (which is why I vote for my senators, governors, representatives, etc.)

2) I don't agree fully with either party at this point to vote for one or the other.

3) If a third party would ever get into office, I would vote for them, but unfortunately Americans' and politics care more about parties than about the betterment of our country. It's time to move on from the two party system.

Stating my opinion is in no way disregarding anyone else's. I know the cost that the price that was paid to have our freedom and rights and I exercise them regularly and in other such elections. I believe it is powerful as a nation for all of us to join in on the discussion, respectfully debate, and to not let this become the main focus of our lives. There are still mouths to feed, bodies to clothe, and love to be given.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post! I share your frustrations, but I voted anyways. I seriously thank you for putting things into perspective though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After studying out the women’s suffrage movement in America this summer, I'm very proud to vote on all ticket levels. I agree with your thinking on the power the President has being limited if the Congress doesn't agree yet that goes both ways. Even if the perfect Congress was in office it's a 'three ring' circus for the reason of checks and balances, so the wrong President could also do just as much damage in my opinion. Voting is picking the lesser of evils because of the nature of politics. No matter how much we wish it different, how the country's run is no longer based on the bible so, for me, the responsibility is to pray about and vote for who I believe would hold up the Constitution.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I respect your decision am not intending to change your mind at all, but if I don't vote, I am not using my right to contribute in a small way to the betterment of this country. I am very thankful for my right to vote, and the right which brave women fought long and hard for.

    If you don't mind my asking, but what don't you like about both sides?

    There will never be a perfect candidate. We're all human. A lot of people have that same idea of perfection when looking for a church, and they end up endlessly church hopping or not attending at all because they feel that they don't like certain things. The standard you have only exists in God, and I think as citizens we should pick the best out of what is available to us. Of course, not voting is an option, but it is a wasted option. Hope you don't feel offended, but I firmly believe that. The president has a LOT of power, even the power to ignore Congress to some extent through a process, including the veto. He is the Commander in Chief who calls the shots on the military's actions, and he chooses his own cabinet members. This coming election will also choose LIFETIME judges because some (if more than one) died. That is something that no other president can change after him, because a judge is appointed only by the president and for life.

    ReplyDelete